SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2002, MEETING OF THE IMPERIAL ST. LANDRY GENEALOGICAL AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY,

held in the third floor auditorium of the Opelousas General Hospital.

Society President, Estelle Perrault, called the meeting to order at 10:00 AM.

She introduced Birdie B. Lewis, Society Librarian.  Mrs. Lewis instructed society volunteers who assisted with filling out information cards for books which were recently donated to the Society by the family of the late Eddie Lee Elder Smart Comeau.  The extensive collection, representing a lifetime of research by Mrs. Comeau, will be added to the Society’s library.  Many local genealogists should find useful information on ancestors who came from the Atlantic coast states, and from Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia, as well. At a later “work party”, books will be assigned catalog numbers.  The Society hopes to install a computer software program, which will facilitate the process.

 Mrs. Lewis pointed out that a number must be assigned to each book, according to the Dewey Decimal System.  Therefore, books pertaining to General History in the United States fall under “976”.  Following the three-digit number is a decimal point, followed by a number which designates a region of the United States, followed by a number which designates the area of the state, followed by a number which designates the parish.  For example:  “976.346” applies to titles under  “General History in the United States; the South Central or Gulf Coast Region; South Central Louisiana; Parish of St. Landry”.

 

Miss Perrault then introduced Myra Matas, Society member, who is in the process of researching the history of the “Robin Plantation”, which is located on Bayou Teche, between Leonville and Arnaudville.  Mrs. Matas and her husband are the present owners of the property, which has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

 Mrs. Matas has recently contacted Dr. Carl J. Eckberg, author of a series of books offering information on the Villars and Vallé families. Louis Villars and Marie Louise Vallé, who came to Louisiana from St. Genevieve, a French Colony in the Upper Louisiana Territory, were owners of the property until it was claimed by the United States in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803.  According to Dr. Eckberg, Marie Louise Vallé returned to St. Genevieve before her death in the early 1800’s, leaving no representative of the family to claim ownership in Louisiana.  Eventually, the property was sold to Marie Theresa Berthelot Stelly, who acquired the property after the death of her first husband.  She later married Francois Robin, and many local family names, such as “Marks”, “Stelly” and “Robin” are included in the land records.  Mrs. Matas would like to encourage Dr. Eckberg to continue his book series to include families associated with the “Robin Plantation” in the years which followed 1803. The first two books in the series by Dr. Eckberg are COLONIAL ST. GENEVIEVE and FRENCH ROOTS IN THE ILLINOIS COUNTRY, and the latest is FRANCOIS VALLE AND HIS WORLD.

Rosalyn L. Soileau, spokesperson for the nominating committee, presented the following slate of officers, nominated by the committee to serve in 2003:

President:  Estelle Perrault

Vice-President:  Etha S. Amling

Corresponding Secretary:  JoAnn H. Duncan

Recording Secretary:  Sylvia D. Morel

Treasurer:  JoAnne R. Savoie

3 Year Director:  Walter Juergen Amling.

Motion to accept the slate of officers was made by Nelda Stelly.  Motion seconded by Sue Deville.  Motion unanimously approved by Society members who were present.

 Agatha Bush will continue as 2 Year Director, and David Lanclos will continue as 1 Year Director.  According to the Society’s By-Laws, only one new Director is named each year to serve a three-year term, and the Director whose one-year term expires at the end of the year is the one who is replaced.

 Miss Perrault stated that the Imperial St. Landry Genealogical and Historical Society was founded ten years ago.

 There will be no meeting in December.  The next meeting will be held in the third floor auditorium of Opelousas General Hospital on January 11th, 2003.

 Meeting adjourned at 12:00 NOON.

 Submitted by:

 Sylvia David Morel

Recording Secretary